Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

A relative owned her house and it was in her name when she remarried seven years ago. Her husband has now left her and is demanding half the value of the property, even though he never contributed to the mortgage payments or to the upkeep of the house. What’s he entitled to?

There are no fixed rules, but it’s unlikely that he would be awarded as much as half the house other than in exceptional circumstances. The fact that the property belonged to your relative prior to the marriage and that her husband made no contribution towards it will be important, but if he contributed to the marriage in other respects this will be taken into account. Your relative should see a solicitor to ensure a fair settlement is reached.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms