Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

About 12 years ago a relative married a widower with two young children. He has now asked her to leave. The house was in joint names so I assume she will be entitled to half its value, but I was wondering whether she would have a claim on the furniture, household effects and his high value pension fund?

If the couple can’t reach agreement about how to divide up their property they may have to ask the court to decide. I take it the children are still living with the father, in which case a sale might well be delayed until the children leave school. The court could certainly order that your relative receives a share of her husband’s pension and a fair division of the contents. She should see a solicitor to ensure she receives a fair settlement.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms