Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

After ten years of marriage my husband and I have decided to separate. We have two small children. The house is in my name only. My husband has never worked: what will he be entitled to when I sell the house in the next 12 months?

If the children are going to live with you then a court would probably allow you to remain in the house until they’re 18. Your husband’s failure to contribute to the marriage will be just one of many considerations. The fact that the deeds are in your name only may count for little. Ten years is a long marriage by today’s standards and he will almost certainly be entitled to something, but you should see a solicitor to work out the details. I suggest you do this before putting your house on the market.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms