Areas of Law / Property

We bought some land for £10,000, to be paid equally by myself, my wife and our daughter over ten years but our daughter never paid her share. Has she a legal right of ownership because her name is on the deeds?

Yes. You may have a claim for compensation against your daughter for breach of contract. If she fails to pay her share now, plus interest, you may be able to force her to sell her share of the land in order to compensate you. Whether she could sell her share to someone other than yourselves will depend on the original agreement. If it wasn’t in writing you may have some problems with this, and I suggest you take whatever documentation you have to a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms