Areas of Law / Crime

My brother has been convicted and sentenced for something he didn’t do, and I wondered what can be done to prove his innocence?

You should discuss the chances of a successful appeal with your brother’s legal team. If he was convicted in a Magistrates’ Court (assuming he pleaded not guilty) he must submit the appeal notice to the Crown Court within 21 days. Time limits also apply in the Crown Court, and are adhered to, so there must not be any delay. An appeal to the Crown Court from the Magistrates is essentially an automatic right but if your brother wants to appeal a jury conviction in the Crown Court he will need the permission of the Court of Appeal to proceed. You should discuss your concerns with your brother’s solicitor immediately.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms