Areas of Law / Property

My brother was living with my mother when she died two years ago. She left the house to the two of us and it was put on the market, but hasn’t been sold to date. I have asked my brother to pay me rent until it sells, but he refuses to do so. Is there anything I can do?

Your brother owes you rent for your half of the house from the date of your mother’s death, assuming there’s no provision in the will for your brother to stay on. Make enquiries about what might constitute a reasonable rent for a similar house in that area, halve it, and send him a bill for the last two years, following up with a County Court claim if necessary. In the meantime you would be advised to become more involved with the house sale.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms