Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

What does changing your name by deed poll mean? If you do this, is all mention of the birth parents removed from the records?

A deed poll is a legal document formalising a change of name, although most people change their name these days using a change of name deed – a sworn statement made before a solicitor. You may need one of these documents if you want to use your new name on your bank account or passport, for instance. You don’t need any official documentation if you just want to be known by a different name socially. Whatever you do you can’t change the birth register, which records at least the mother’s name.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms