Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

We decided to rent a house, and paid a £750 deposit. However the property was broken into before we moved in, and we decided not to rent it after all. However the estate agent kept our deposit. Is there any way we could get the money back?

The landlord is entitled to compensation for any loss of income resulting from your change of heart. I take it that £750 represented a month’s rent. If the landlord or his agent had managed to find someone else to move in within that month you would have been entitled to a proportion of your deposit back, less the agents’ expenses. Unless you know who took over the tenancy, and the date they moved in, you will have difficulty proving that your landlord suffered losses amounting to less than £750.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms