Areas of Law / Debt matter

Five years ago I lent a friend £2,500 to save him appearing in court. He promised to pay me back at £10 a week, but payments ceased after a few months. In the meantime he has changed his car and gone abroad on holiday each year. He still owes me £1300. Can you advise me how to go about getting this back?

It appears that your friend has the means to pay you, so I suggest you tell him you intend taking him to the small claims court unless he pays up within, say, a month. Hopefully you will have kept some record of his repayments to date, so he won’t be able to argue that the money was a gift.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms