Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

Four years ago I had a double garage built on the side of my house with the intention of making an extra bedroom above it at a later date. I obtained the necessary planning permission, had all the searches done at the town hall and the foundations were checked by a council inspector. They’’ve now discovered that the garage is built over a main drain, so I can’’t proceed. The council is blaming the architect and vice versa. I’ would have moved house if I’’d known that an extra bedroom was out of the question.

It would seem on the face of it that you should be able to claim compensation. You will have to establish negligence on the part of the council, the architect or the builder: perhaps all three. I think however that you will need detailed help from a solicitor to establish blame.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms