Areas of Law / Insurance law

Our house is covered by separate insurance policies for buildings and contents. After a storm, the buildings insurers paid out on a claim for missing roof tiles, but the contents insurers refused to pay for damage to a carpet caused by water coming in under the patio doors. I feel the damage must have been covered by one or the other!

You’re generally advised to take out buildings and contents insurance with the same firm to avoid just this predicament. Your two firms will have internal appeals procedures you can go through, and will probably also be members of the insurance ombudsman scheme if you can’t resolve the matter. It could be that your claim has been rejected because the doors are badly designed or fitted, but without looking at your policy schedules in detail it’s impossible to say for certain.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms