Areas of Law / Property

My house deeds state that the property is to be used only as a private dwelling house. Would that prevent me setting up a room rental business with online agencies such as Airbnb, and would I have to notify the council?

I wouldn’t have thought so. The clause in your deeds is a covenant, which is likely to have been placed there by the original builders of your property in order to preserve the general upkeep of the area. They would be unlikely to want to enforce it even if your neighbours complained, which is at best a remote possibility. As regards the council, they would only be interested in your “business use” of the property in the unlikely event that it affected your neighbours.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms