Areas of Law / Property

The house next door burned down many years ago and we have looked after the plot for the last 11 years, paying a gardener to tend to it every fortnight. It’s owned by the local council I think, but could we now say it’s ours?

If the plot has been registered at the Land Registry you can make a claim for the land after 10 years’ occupation. But the registered owner will be notified and given the opportunity to object to your application and evict you. If the property is still unregistered you could attempt to claim the land after 12 years, but to succeed you must demonstrate that during that period you have had exclusive possession of the land, that you intended to possess it (rather than merely have use of it) and that you have done so without the true owner’s consent.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms