Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

We are housing association tenants and are concerned about our central heating. It’s oil-fired, which suits the property but we have been told that if the boiler breaks down we must switch to an electric system that we don’t want. Do we have a choice?

The housing association should consult and involve you in decisions that affect you but this doesn’t necessarily mean that it has to act on your wishes. There may be a tenants’ committee you could join: ask the housing association for more information and how final decisions are made, and also consult your tenancy agreement and tenants’ handbook. If you can show that your present system is more efficient you may be able to convince the association to keep your present arrangement under the Decent Homes Standard, which requires social housing to have efficient heating.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms