Areas of Law / Property

My husband died recently and I’m finding it difficult to keep the property going and pay all the bills, since I’m only on the state pension. I’m thinking of putting half the house in my son’s name, since he would then be responsible for half the outgoings. He’s currently unemployed and on job seeker’s allowance; would he receive any help towards the bills?

I can’t see any advantage in handing over half your house to your son. What if he wanted to sell his half, or (as more often happens) he got married and his wife wanted to sell it? You could end up homeless. There are unlikely to be any extra benefits he could claim as a homeowner, and if he’s living with you he should be contributing to the household budget in any case out of his benefits.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms