Areas of Law / Property

My husband is a farmer and is having trouble gaining access to one of his fields. Two families who bought cottages on the lane leading to the field say they bought the lane when they bought the houses in 1997, and that my husband lost his right of way then. Can a right of way in use by others be bought by someone else?

Rights of way can either be set out in title deeds or can be acquired through usage. If your husband and his predecessors at the farm have always used the lane to get to the field he won’t lose the right to do so just because a property has changed hands. He should see a solicitor. It may be possible to take out an injunction to prevent the cottage owners barring his way.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms