Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My husband and I are divorcing after eleven years’ marriage. Our bungalow is in my name only. Will my husband be able to claim a share of it since he has contributed to the running costs and done a lot of work on the house?

Where married couples are concerned it’s of little significance whose name is on the title deeds. It’s possible that your husband would be awarded as much as half the house, but the court will take a large number of factors into account, among them your respective incomes, earning capacity, ages and (in exceptional circumstances) the conduct of the parties. Where there are children their needs will be the first consideration. You should seek detailed advice from a solicitor who’s a member of Resolution, the family law specialists.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms