Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

I am 72 and have about £30,000. When I die I want this money to help my sister, who is 67, and her son and my brother, who are both unwell and live in sheltered accommodation. Would it be sensible to set up a trust? My concern is that the income from it could prevent the beneficiaries from claiming state benefits.

It’s unlikely that the income generated from £30,000, split three ways, will take your nephew and your brother over the thresholds where they would be no longer entitled to claim state benefits. This of course depends on what other income they have. Your sister’s pension entitlement won’t be affected by additional income from a trust fund. A solicitor will be able to advise you on the most efficient way of doing this and examine other options, depending on the financial circumstances of those involved.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms