Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

I am 59. 15 months ago my husband left me after 40 years of marriage to live with another woman in her house. He now wants to sell our home and split the money. As there won’t be enough for me to buy another property, would I have a claim on my husband’s work pension? We are not legally separated or divorced.

You should discuss your finances in detail with a solicitor specialising in matrimonial work. Don’t sign away your claim on the house before doing so! The divorce courts wouldn’t necessarily split it 50/50; it’s possible for example that you could keep the house if you were to forgo maintenance, but it will depend what other assets (including your husband’s pension) are available to divide between you. 

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms