Areas of Law / Property

I am buying 20 acres of agricultural land and a search has turned up a covenant placed on it by the Church Commissioners. We don’’t know what it relates to, and I have been advised to take out an indemnity policy to guard against future problems. Should we search further and risk uncovering bad news or let sleeping dogs lie?

It’’s unlikely you’’ll be able to insure against future problems unless you make further inquiries: the insurers will want to know what the risks are. If you obtain a printout of the entry in the Land Charges Register you should send it to the Church Commissioners and ask what the covenant entails. If the Commissioners have no record of the covenant you then have the option of indemnity insurance. The cost of this will be a matter for negotiation.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms