Areas of Law / Consumer Law

I booked a holiday but had to cancel it, having paid a £140 deposit by credit card. The firm said they didn’t need it in writing but advised me I would lose the deposit. Then a month after the date of the holiday the £440 balance appeared on my credit card statement. Are they allowed to do this?

No. They can’t debit your account without your permission. Contact your credit card company immediately and ask for a refund. I think you were entitled to rely on the travel firm’s assurance that you stood to lose nothing more than your deposit. Assuming you get your money back on the credit card, the travel firm will have to take you to court to get the balance. In the absence of evidence either way it may come down to who the judge believes.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms