Areas of Law / Property

I bought some land from the council 30 years ago. The adjoining land was badly overgrown with weeds eight feet tall. I’ve been maintaining their land all this time; I did write to them years ago asking them to do something about it, but there was no response. Do I have any claim on this land that I’ve been looking after?

Probably not. You have to use it as your own, without any contradiction from the owner or without any acknowledgement that it doesn’t belong to you. If you had fenced it off 12 years prior to 2003 (when the law on adverse possession changed) you may have been able to lay claim to it. But if you do that now and the land is registered at the Land Registry the council will be notified if you try to claim it and will have the opportunity to evict you.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms