Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

I divorced seven years ago and we reached an agreement on payments to my ex-wife for the upkeep of the children. Now I have remarried she has contacted the CSA for an increase because my wife is earning. She is also trying to get payments backdated to 2008, even though I have been paying her in cash all these years.

Your present wife’s income will not be taken into account and the CSA (or what is now the Child Maintenance Service) can’t entertain backdated claims.  If your ex-wife makes an application to the CMS you will be encouraged to settle the matter between you, but if you can’t then they will direct you to pay child maintenance on a formula which is based on your gross income. I suggest you make future payments by cheque or standing order, or insist on a receipt for cash.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms