Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

I gave £5,000 to a friend. I am elderly and am now short of ready money, but the friend says I cannot have it back. Can you suggest what I might do?

If you gave the money away you are not entitled to ask for it back. If it was a loan and you think your friend has the funds with which to repay you, you can sue for the return of the cash in the County Court. You would have to prove that it was a loan as opposed to a gift, however, and it would be handy if you had a signed piece of paper to that effect. There’’s no point in starting court proceedings against someone who has no money though.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms