Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

I gave a decorator some money for materials, but the work was never started. He was ordered to pay me £800 when I took him to court under the small claims procedure twelve months ago, but I have never received any money. How long will he be able to flout the law?

Your next step should probably be to ask the court to hold an inquiry into the decorator’s means. He can be ordered to produce his books and papers at an oral examination at which you can find out if he has any money and if so, where it is. There are a number of other options and you may have to consider sending in the bailiffs but in all these cases, beware of throwing good money after bad.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms