Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

When I got divorced my husband was allowed a charge on the house at 26%, payable on my death or if I remarry or sell the property. My uncle has died and left me some money, and I would like to pay off the charge, but I don’t know how much this would be or how to go about it.

You will have to read the terms of the court order and legal charge, but these are likely to give your ex-husband 26% of the net equity in the property (ie after the mortgage has been discharged) at the current market value. You will therefore need to have a valuation carried out. I suggest you let a solicitor negotiate this transaction. If your ex-husband is short of cash he may be persuaded to settle for less in return for receiving his share of the property early.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms