Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

I have owned my home for more than 30 years, but after being made redundant last year I decided to rent out my property and move in with my girlfriend. If I sell my home next year, would I be liable to pay Capital Gains Tax?

You can become liable for CGT if you let out your home. But in your case this is very unlikely, since how much you pay depends on how long you lived in it and how long you let it out for. You get Private Residence Relief for the proportion of your ownership you were in residence, plus for the 18 months preceding the sale whether you lived there or not. So the letting period would only amount to a tiny fraction of your total ownership, and Letting Relief would cover any liability resulting from that.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms