Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

I have started divorce proceedings. Our house is in my husband’s name. Will this affect our financial settlement?

Things would be slightly more straightforward if the house was in joint names, but the court can divide a couple’s assets as it thinks fit and could, if it thought it was right and proper, transfer the house into your sole name. The court’s primary concern will be the welfare of any children. After that it will take into account a wide range of factors, such as your respective incomes, ages, earning capacity, the length of the marriage and your contributions to the household in deciding what you’re entitled to. In the meantime you should take steps to prevent your husband selling or borrowing against the property. See a solicitor about this as soon as possible if you haven’t already done so.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms