Areas of Law / Property

I live with a woman who bought a house with her then boyfriend 13 years ago. He moved out seven years ago and is now married. Will he be able to force us to sell up when his daughter, who lives with us, leaves home?

If a house is in joint names it’s assumed that it’s owned 50/50. If your partner wants to challenge this she may have to go to court to argue her case, and this can be expensive. These problems are better sorted out sooner rather than later; your girlfriend’s ex-partner may for instance be prepared to accept a lower settlement figure now, while his daughter is living with you and he probably couldn’t force you to sell, than he might in a few years’ time. But if they can’t reach agreement, a court will have to decide the issue.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms