Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

I am a lodger and a pensioner claiming income support and don’t pay council tax but my landlady is trying to make me pay £15 a week council tax; is she allowed to do this?

Since you’re a lodger, as opposed to a householder or a tenant, you’re not liable to pay council tax. However the rent agreement you have with your landlady is likely to include an amount for the council tax payable on the building, along with things like water rates and heating. The short answer is that your landlady is entitled to increase your rent, subject to any agreement you might have, for whatever reason, be it an increase in the council tax she has to pay or any other increase in her overheads.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms