Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

I own 70 acres of land which I rent out. Because I do not farm it myself, is the land subject to inheritance tax? And if so, is there anything I can do about it? Who is best to advise me, a solicitor or an accountant?

If the land is part of a working farm, it is likely to qualify for Agricultural Relief from inheritance tax at 100% even where you are renting it out. The qualification is that you must have owned it for seven years before you die (and if you have been renting it out since before September 1st 1995 it may only qualify for 50% relief). It’’s not totally straightforward, and if you are concerned about inheritance tax generally I suggest you see a solicitor specialising in this area at least initially.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms