Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

I rent out a house. Someone visiting my tenant went out into the back yard in the rain to cut some ivy and slipped on the wet flagstones, breaking two bones in her leg. She now wants to claim damages from me. What’s my responsibility?

As a landlord you have a duty to ensure that the premises are safe. So the woman may have a claim against you if the flagstones were uneven or loose. Whether the woman will succeed in her claim will depend very much on how she came to fall. If she was careless in some way then a court may decide the accident was her own fault. Check that you’re insured against such claims. If so, contact your insurers immediately and they should deal with it. If not, see a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms