Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

I sold a car to a businessman whom I knew at least by reputation, so when he gave me a cheque for £3,000 I believed it would be sound, However, the bank returned the cheque four days later saying there wasn’’t enough money in the account. I have telephoned the businessman and written three letters: how can I get my money?

You can sue someone who “bounces” a cheque on you and, except in limited circumstances, there is no defence since a cheque is supposed to be the equivalent of cash. As a “small claim” your scope for recovering any legal expenses would be very limited, however, assuming you were successful you should get your cash if the businessman has the money to pay you. Your other option would be to ask the court for the return of the vehicle.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms