Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

I had a will drawn up by a solicitor, but am in the dark about probate fees. Where and when will I have to pay these, and how much is it likely to cost? I have a small house, a car and a small amount of cash.

You will never have to pay them! In order to sell your house after your death your executors will have to make an application for probate (at the District Probate Registry). There is a court fee which costs in the region of £200 currently: it’s slightly cheaper if submitted by a solicitor but you would need to pay for solicitors’ fees if you need help. It’s likely that the fees will be met from your savings (your estate) but as I say, they are payable after your death.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms