Areas of Law / Employment

I work in a timber yard, where part of my job is to drive a stacker truck and a dumper truck. I read an article recently about an accident where the driver was fined. Do I need a licence or any kind of training to drive this type of machinery?

You don’t need a licence unless you go out on to the public roads, and it’s unlikely you would be held responsible for an accident if you were acting sensibly and doing your job. However under the Health and Safety at Work Act you do need training, and it’s your employer’s job to see that you get it. You should receive a permit to drive specific vehicles after suitable training. There should also be a supervisor on the site who understands the safety requirements. Contact your union, or the Health and Safety Executive.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms