Areas of Law / Employment

I work Tuesdays and Thursdays at a sports centre, and have done for 13 years. They’’re talking about closing down my section, but when I asked whether part-timers might be entitled to a redundancy payment they told me I wasn’’t part-time, but “casual”. What’’s the difference?

Since you have had continuous service over a period of 13 years you are not a casual worker. Casual workers are usually people who work occasionally for an employer on an “as and when required” basis. An employment tribunal will not look at what an employee is called by an employer, but at their employment record. You are entitled to a redundancy payment calculated by reference to your years of service and your age. You will also be entitled to 12 weeks’ notice or pay in lieu of notice.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms