Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

If my father had to move into an old folk’s home, what’s the maximum amount he’s allowed to have in savings for him not to have to pay any of the home costs? If he were to sign his house over to a family member, how many years need to pass for the property not to be taken into account?

If your father has less than £14,250 in property, savings or investments he will not have to contribute towards residential home costs other than from his “eligible” income. The second part of your question is more difficult to answer. If the local authority thinks someone has given away his property or cash in order to avoid care home fees it can treat him as having “notional capital” and send him the bills. You – and your father – should get detailed advice.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms