Areas of Law / Property

I’m a single parent with a residence order for my daughter. My ex-partner refuses to pay any maintenance and she hasn’t contributed to the mortgage for nine years. However she won’t sign the house over to me unless I give her some money. How can I get her name off the mortgage?

You should really have sorted this out when she left. If your ex-partner’s name is on the title deeds it’s usually assumed that any equity in the property will be divided fifty-fifty, unless there’s an agreement to the contrary. If your ex-partner is pressing for her share it’s possible a court will allow you to remain in the house until your daughter is older, or in some circumstances it could order that the equity is divided in different shares. See a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms