Areas of Law / Property

I’ve read somewhere about making a Property Trust Will in order to prevent the local authority using the money tied up in your house to pay for your care home fees. Can you explain what’s required?

It’s a way of protecting half your home. Married couples can become “tenants in common”, so that you each own half of your home separately, and each make a will leaving your half in trust. So, assuming you survive your spouse, although your own half of the house could be used to meet care costs, the other half would be safe because it wouldn’t belong to you. Depending on the type of trust, you will be able to stay on in the house after your spouse’s death, and even move house if you wish. Talk it through with a solicitor who specialises in this area.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms