Areas of Law / Property

When she last went to pay her ground rent of £1.50 my mother was told there was no need to bother any more, because the freeholders were no longer interested in receiving the money. Is this the end of the matter, or should she be seeking some sort of written assurance regarding the lease?

Your mother should try to get something in writing, and I recommend that she continues to observe the terms of the lease. It would be very nice if the freeholders were prepared to transfer the freehold into your mother’s name, and it might even add to the value of the house. However it might cost money: how much would depend on whether the freeholders decided on a valuation to determine the market rate, although it’s possible that she could apply to purchase the freehold at preferential rates anyway.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms