Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

We live in a block of retirement flats which were built just over three years ago. There’s now a problem with the heating system, but the landlord (who was also the builder) insists this is due to “wear and tear” while we think it was faulty installation. I understand there’s now a tribunal system for resolving landlord/leaseholder problems. How would we go about applying to it?

The tribunal is mainly for determining whether service charges are reasonable. If you are arguing that the heating system is inherently defective then it should be repaired under the terms of the lease, and would not be a matter for the tribunal. You should probably see a solicitor about this, since if your heating isn’t working (especially in retirement flats) and the landlord won’t repair it you could be entitled to compensation for harassment. 

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms