Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

We have lived in a rented house for more than 35 years. The house suffers from damp and the windows are so rotten the glass is nearly falling out. However the landlord says he would have to more than double the rent in order to be able to afford to carry out the repairs.

You should see a solicitor about this, taking your tenancy agreement with you. Your landlord will have an obligation to carry out the repairs: saying he can’t afford it is no excuse! You may be entitled to compensation if he is in breach of the terms of your lease. Since your tenancy agreement was drawn up prior to the Housing Act 1988 the chances are that the rent is controlled by the local authority, so he wouldn’t be able to increase it at will.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms