Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

When we moved into our one-bedroomed bungalow it was in council tax Band B, but we complained and they decided we should pay Band A charges. However the water company won’t cut our water bills even though we’re paying less council tax. They told us to get a water meter if we don’t agree with our water rates.

Water bills are still based on the old local government rateable value system in use prior to the introduction of the Community Charge in 1990 so it makes no difference to your water rates which council tax band you’re in. If you don’t use much water you may be better off, as the water company suggests, having a meter installed.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms