Areas of Law / Property

My girlfriend has recently moved in with me. If we were ever to split up would she have any claim on my property? She wants to help me out with the bills: would this improve her claim on my house? We have no children.

You don’t develop a financial interest in a property just by living there. If at some stage your girlfriend claimed to have a financial interest in your house, the courts would consider what it was you intended. A written cohabitation agreement would make things clear, but failing that the court could conclude that financial contributions from your girlfriend would give her an interest. You can probably accept help with utility bills, but anything more substantial could give her a foot in the door.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms