Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My husband and I do not live together and neither of us wants a divorce. Can I change my name to something else, even though I’’m still married? Will either of us have any claim on the other’s estate when one of us dies?

You can change your name to whatever you choose in everyday life, although institutions such as your bank or the DWP may need something more formal. As regards each other’s property, if either you or your husband fail to make a will everything you own up to £450,000 will go to the survivor if you have no children, plus a life interest in half of anything above that sum. Even if your husband cut you out of his will you would still be able to make a claim on his estate, especially if you were being supported by him financially.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms