Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My husband ran off with another woman two years ago. My solicitors can’t find him to serve divorce papers on him, and they say I’ll have to wait another three years now for my divorce. Is there any way I can divorce him sooner?

I presume your solicitors have engaged a “tracing agency” to attempt to track your husband down and they’ve been unsuccessful. If your husband is supposed to be paying you maintenance you can, through the courts, ask the Department of Work and Pensions and the passport office to help locate him. It is possible to apply to the court for leave to dispense with service of petition if all reasonable enquiries have been made. Since there may be no evidence of your husband’s adultery you may be able to divorce him on the grounds of two years’ desertion.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms