Areas of Law / Crime

My partner and I share a car. When we got back from holiday we found we’’d got a speeding ticket, but we don’t know which of us was driving at the time. Will this have to go to court?

You may be able to submit an informal appeal against the ticket, but if this is rejected in most cases you will have to attend a court hearing. You would have to be able to satisfy the magistrate that you have acted “with reasonable diligence” to find out who the driver was. This may be attempting to obtain photographs from the police or jointly providing details of your activities on the day the ticket was issued. Failure to provide such information is an offence in its own right.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms