Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

My property was recently refurbished by the council, and some of my possessions were placed with a storage company for six months. When I got them back many items were damaged or missing, including some of great sentimental value. I have been offered compensation by the council, but they say this is limited. Should I take this down a legal route?

You need to assemble evidence of the value of the missing items and if necessary get quotes for repairing any damage. Unfortunately things that are of great value to you may be worth very little in monetary terms. You will probably be better off negotiating a more realistic compensation figure with the council than attempting to sue them or the storage company since, again, you would be required to provide evidence of the items’ value in court.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms