Areas of Law / Property

My wife and I are in our eighties. The house is in my name only. I would like to ensure that it goes to my grand-daughter, who at present is 16, when we die. Is it possible to transfer the title deeds to three owners: my wife, myself and my grand-daughter?

It is not possible for anyone under the age of 18 to hold a legal estate in land so, in order to do this, trustees would have to be appointed. In any case it’s not the way of achieving your purpose that I’d recommend. If you were to do this your grand-daughter would become a joint owner of your property now, which could put your home at risk. Discuss this with a solicitor: it will probably be a good idea for the house to be in joint names with your wife –certainly if you haven’t made a will.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms