Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My wife and I are thinking of giving our house to our daughter in case one of us has to go into a home at some point. I am concerned that, should our daughter get divorced, her husband may be entitled to half our property and we would be left homeless.

If you simply give your house to your daughter, it would be at risk if she were to divorce, die or become bankrupt. You could transfer the property to your daughter and retain a right to live in it by setting up a “Life Interest Trust” whereby you would become “life tenants”. If a life tenant goes into a nursing home, the local authority cannot take the assets in the trust to pay for their care, depending on when the transfer and trust were completed. Discuss this with a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms